Just like the rest of the world, the current pandemic of Coronavirus has caused us to make changes on the fly. ROYBA is constantly monitoring the situation as it changes. The following information is current as of May 18th:
May 18 marks the end of “Stay at Home” and the start of “Stay Safe.” With the new order limiting gatherings to groups of 10 or less, Rogers-Otsego Youth Baseball does NOT have approval to begin organized team activities. During this unprecedented time, we continue to follow guidance provided by governing organizations and the State of Minnesota.
While we hurry up and wait… we remain in close contact with our governing organization, Minnesota Youth Athletic Services (MYAS) and our local partners, ISD 728, City of Rogers, City of Otsego. Our goal continues to be one of supporting a baseball season should we be given permission to safely resume baseball activities in 2020. While the lack of updates may have been frustrating, there was nothing to share until now. Here is all we know at this point.
A coalition of MYAS, Metro Baseball League and MN Softball created a proposal called “Safe Play: Back to the Diamond” and submitted it to the State in an effort to resume safe participation in youth baseball and softball. Governor Walz’ task force reviewed the guidelines over several days.
In response to this proposal, the coalition was asked to join a statewide commission to bring ALL youth sports back to their respective playing fields. The Minnesota Amateur Sports Commission (MASC) will be reviewing plans in an effort to create a “playbook” from which all sports may get back in action.
Our hope is that the proposed guidelines are approved by Tuesday, May 19th and we receive word by Wednesday, May 20th. The proposal being discussed at the State level consists of the following information:
May 26 Associations may resume tryouts and begin practices if teams are formed. This may get pushed back to JUNE 1.
Gopher State Baseball League will begin June 15 and run through July 29. They hope this means a return to both competitive league games AND tournaments.
All of this hinges on the Governor providing his approval for this plan. We hope to know this week, one way or the other, whether we will have baseball for our ROYBA house and travel leagues. Discussions have been ongoing and continue behind the scenes to plan so we can Go! when given the green light.
Trust that we share your frustrations with the lack of clarity whether there will or will not be baseball in 2020. Thank you for your willingness to wait it out, and we hope to be able to support and provide a positive baseball experience for our Rogers-Otsego families this summer.
We will continue to provide updates as they become available.
Tentative season timeline based on approval